Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Parable of the good money lender who set up business in the temple.

1985.

There was a church in a poor suburb called Blat and people had to drive rusty old cars and seldom could afford takeaways. A good money lender came to the church and offered people loans. He worked out a plan where he charged 70% interest and people could borrow up to $3000. He had a card that he gave out in church, just before the priest came out.
The Good people of Blat were happy because they could now buy more beer and takeaways. The young people also had lots of soft drinks and put on weight. This meant that the forward pack in the Blat senior rugby team got very heavy and they had the best scrum in the city wide competition. They won all their games using rolling malls.
If people couldn't pay back their loans, the good money lender gave them extra time but simply charged them more interest.
One day a man came to him and said he wouldn't pay back the money he owned. The good money lender prayed for guidence and the Lord instructed him to go around to this man's house and break things. After this the man always paid because he saw God's plan.
God spoke to the good money lender saying,
"You have helped my people. You are a good money lender."
The suburb of Blat was known by all in the city as a blessed suburb.

3 comments:

  1. Angry Jesus, while I don't belong to your church, I must abmit to having tears in my eyes as I read your wonderful parable. What a good, considerate man the good money lender was. He put others before his own needs. Thank you for brightening up my Sunday morning with hope in mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man that was some parable. I'm also not a christian but that story hit it on the head for me. What a story of courage and compassion. I'm still chewin' the carrot on christianity, but I can see now why people would want to go to church.Especially the one in Blat. Is Blat a sort of biblical place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the warm words guys. Yeah, people see the words 'money' and 'lender' and jump to conclusions. The wrong conclusions in the case of the good money lender. These parables are a subtle way I use to suggest things to my flock. Some of my flock are a bit stupid and need a good story to get a point across.

    ReplyDelete